[BitTorrent] Re: Tracker scrape extension proposal

dropnessence bittorrent at networkessence.net
Mon Jan 17 11:12:10 EST 2005

Keep-alive is a bad system to use with a bittorrent tracker. By
default clients are set to only hit the server every 5 mins. If you
keep a thread/socket alive for 5 minutes just for that client, and you
have a swarm of clients then you will be keeping thousands of
threads/sockets open for keep-alive. Keep-alive is useful for webpage
where somebody is clicking on something every 3-60 seconds. BT happens
every 300 seconds. If the BT tracker (announce) is implemented by a
web-server (eg, PHP), then keep-alive should be disabled.

--- In BitTorrent at yahoogroups.com, "Roger Pate" <roger at q...> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 00:19:42 +0100, Olaf van der Spek <OvdSpek at L...>
wrote:

> >> from the tracker, individual requests aren't particularaly efficient,
> >> but nor is fetching everything. I'd still rather fetch everything
than
> >> hit the tracker with 100 HTTP requests, though. This is why I
think it'd

> > Why?
> > 100 single-torrent requests consume far less than 3 mb.
>
> Each HTTP request consumes server resources, even if the data
transferred is small. One hundred requests is significant.

> How trackers support keep-alive? That would help, but not eliminate,
this problem.