[BitTorrent] Re: Request for protocol extension: get_info/info messages

Iain Wade iwade at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jan 17 19:11:34 EST 2005

> Yes, but it means another thing of significant size to worry about. You
> haven't said anything about the more serious problem, cache poisoning. If
> my evil client can ask for a particular torrent before anyone else, and
> given bogus hashes you're dead.

This can't happen .. if you connect using an info_hash, and the cache
asks you for the info blob because you are the first client connecting
with that hash, you can't reply with bogus data because the (sha1)hash
of the info blob won't match the info_hash you connected with. If you
connect with an info_hash designed around your bogus blob then no
other users will be using that info_hash and you can't affect them.

That is the whole point of sending this field. If there was another
way to get trust-worthy info out of the peer I would be very happy.

--Iain