[BitTorrent] ipv6

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Mon Jan 24 17:22:36 EST 2005

> Justin Cormack wrote:
>
> >I cant see any real advantage in being able to run a tracker for ipv6
> >clients if you dont have ipv6 connectivity, as they can always connect
> >with ipv4 (presumably they will look much like natted hosts then, will
> >check once I have some machines up with ipv6 but no ipv4 addresses).
>
> IPv6 clients should be able to talk to each other with IPv6
> even if the tracker does not support it. Why should the
> tracker restrict IPv6 clients to IPv4 only because it
> doesn't support IPv6 itself?

Because it cant verify the ipv6 address, or even get the ip address at
all unless it happends to come via the ip field in the tracker query,
which is a very vaguely specified (and not really implemented widely)
part of the protocol.

If there is a clean way to do it you could convince me (and it supported
multihomed hosts well too), but I havent thought of how to do it yet.

Justin