[BitTorrent] ipv6

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Thu Jan 20 14:43:29 EST 2005

> > > IPv6 is impossible in combination with the compact tracker protocol.
> > >

> > So?
> >
> > Well:
> > 1. then the compact tracker protocol is broken
> > 2. not all trackers use it
> > 3. trackers could detect if the incoming connection was on ipv6 and not use it
> > 4. many other solutions
> >
> > Actually I think P2P applications will drive uptake of ipv6, as hosts
> > need to be able to talk to each other directly. And it seems that recently
> > it has started to be available off the shelf in a fairly widespread way.
> >
> > Justin
>
> Bram had mentioned in an old e-mail that IPv6 would require some other
> fixes, not just a fix to compact tracker mode.  I don't know what these
> other issues are.

I was vaguely under the impression that they had been fixed, but I am
not sure.

> However, it would be fairly easy to have two returned keys:  peers, and
> peers_ipv6.  I think that would solve the internet tracker problem.

I am not sure if you need to, as presumably any ipv6 capable client would
connect to the tracker by ipv6 if possible, and then could then just be
fed ipv6 addresses (including compatibility ipv4 addresses for ipv4 hosts),
while anyone making an ipv4 connection presumably cant cope with ipv6
addresses. But I need to test this. Will look at what the code does.

> In the meantime, why not just disable compact tracker mode on the
> tracker to test your code?

Yes, will do.

As no one has said they are running any ipv6 services I will put up a
few test torrents with just ipv6 and dual homed hosts.