[BitTorrent] Re: Request for protocol extension: get_info/info messages

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Mon Jan 17 18:44:02 EST 2005

>From: Olaf van der Spek <OvdSpek at LIACS.NL>
> Elliott Mitchell wrote:
> > Thing is "You can't trust other parties" applies to your scheme too. I
> > can poison your cache by asking for a torrent, then giving you bogus info
> > hash data. I can also generate thousands of garbage header sets, compute
> > appropriate info hashes for these and overwhelm you with garbage
> > torrents. I can even generate a header set so huge you don't have enough
> > disk space for just the header set. Either you're going to run out of
> > disk space, or you're going to start discarding valid torrents.
>
> Doesn't that depend on your replace policy?

Yes, but it means another thing of significant size to worry about. You
haven't said anything about the more serious problem, cache poisoning. If
my evil client can ask for a particular torrent before anyone else, and
given bogus hashes you're dead.

> > A client will be forced to look for both AAAA, A6, and A records for your
>
> What's A6?

The other IPv6 record. Looks to be disappearing, but a client might still
try to get it.