[BitTorrent] An alternative "super-seed" mode

Jesus Cea jcea at argo.es
Sun Jan 30 15:17:31 EST 2005

Another questions with "super-seed" mode.

1. What is the swarm has only a seeder and a peer?. Nobody is reporting
piece propagation, so you never send a new "have" to the peer.

2. What if a peer transfer a piece to another peer, but that peer goes
offline?. The seeder never saw the transfer and penalize the first peer
not sending it more "have" messages ever. So that peer will be
completely ignored.

3. To improve the pipeline effect when there are few peers, I think that
sending several (let say, 4-10) initial "have" to connecting peers could
be appropiate, to maximice download speed. Of course you only give more
credit if the propagation of those pieces are confirmed.

4. If the swarm is formed by few peers, you can penalize a high
bandwidth peer because the rest of peers are more slow getting the
pieces from it.

As you can see, my concern is with small swarm. Obviously, big swarms
have no these problems.

With this environment i'm confused. The original Super-seed algorithm
works fine if the swarm is big, but my original proposal seems to do a
better work if the swarm is very small (let say, 5 peers).

And yes, my working conditions are just that.

Comments, please. Suggestions welcomed.

--
Jesus Cea Avion                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
jcea at argo.es http://www.argo.es/~jcea/ _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/