[BitTorrent] ipv6

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Jan 25 20:31:33 EST 2005

--On Tuesday, January 25, 2005 3:32 PM -0800 Elliott Mitchell
<ehem at m5p.com> wrote:

> What can happen is I can attempt to flood the tracker's list of peers
> with bogus ones, resulting in the tracker giving out mostly bogus peers
> and killing the swarm. This is hard to do as a good tracker will note
> that hundreds of peers are being added by one host, and thereby ignore
> them. I think attacks along this line are a valid concern, but they are
> against the swarm, not a particular peer.

This could be dealt with using a protocol extension that allows a peer to
report to the tracker the validity of an address it's given. The tracker
uses the swarm to validate the addresses it receives. The probability that
an address is given out is weighted by the votes for and against that
address by the swarm.

This of course leads to a different kind of attack, in which a peer votes
against every address given it. Any ideas on how to deal with that? Perhaps
thresholding the votes with a minimum count needed for consensus.