[BitTorrent] How to control a background job

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Wed Jan 12 12:56:54 EST 2005

--On Wednesday, January 12, 2005 10:19 AM -0500 Bill Cox <bill at viasic.com>
wrote:

> I could support a telnet port, and get access to a command line interface
> that way.  I could support a ssh connection directly to btslave.

You could go raw TCP (you don't need full telnet). Instead of ssh, allow
binding the TCP port to a specific interface, so the user can bind to
127.0.0.1, and then you can use a regular ssh client to tunnel to it. Also
consider a Unix socket (or for Win32, a named pipe).

Both of these give you a raw byte stream over which you can send a simple
command stream.

> I could provide an http interface, the way swat does.  That's a lot of
> work.

Depends on how fancy you get. You don't have to implement a fancy graphical
system. Unreal Tournament (the game) has a pretty nice web admin interface
that's not that big a chunk of code. Embedded web servers can be pretty
tiny. The hardest part is probably the URL parser, and if you've already
got to write a command parser, you're most of the way there.