[BitTorrent] Re: Request for protocol extension: get_info/info

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Thu Jan 20 14:56:03 EST 2005

> Hi, Justin.
>
> There is a linux module called fuse: http://fuse.sourceforge.net/
>
> It makes user-space file systems a snap.
>
> I was thinking of using it to create a virtual file system for torrent
> files.  After mounting one, you could ls them, and cd to them, but if
> you read the data in a file, it'd go get the data from the torrent.  If
> a torrent contained other torrent files, these would be sub-dirs.
>
> It sounds cool, and it's easy to do.  I'm just having trouble coming up
> with a reason to do it.  One thought is that a user on a Linux system
> could mount a directory structure this way that is similar to /usr
> or /usr/local.  Rather than having to install software packages, the
> first time he tried to use one, it'd automatically download it from a
> torrent (possibly after asking if that's ok).
>
> It gets more complicated if the user needs to write to the file system,
> which of course he would.

Not if you just want to install RPMS off it say. Nor do you expect to be able
to write to must large archive/mirror sites, but mounting it means you can
use lots of file system tools.

There are other good reasons to do this, and I will implement something
similar shortly, but there are a few problems, and the way multifile is
implemented is one of them.

Justin