[BitTorrent] ipv6

Bill Cox bill at viasic.com
Thu Jan 20 10:34:38 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 15:15 +0000, Justin Cormack wrote:

> > Justin Cormack wrote:
> > >
> > > Is anyone running any ipv6 trackers for anything?
> > >
> > > Wanted to test ipv6 support.
> > >
> > > Justin
> >
> > IPv6 is impossible in combination with the compact tracker protocol.
> >

> So?
>
> Well:
> 1. then the compact tracker protocol is broken
> 2. not all trackers use it
> 3. trackers could detect if the incoming connection was on ipv6 and not use it
> 4. many other solutions
>
> Actually I think P2P applications will drive uptake of ipv6, as hosts
> need to be able to talk to each other directly. And it seems that recently
> it has started to be available off the shelf in a fairly widespread way.
>
> Justin

Bram had mentioned in an old e-mail that IPv6 would require some other
fixes, not just a fix to compact tracker mode.  I don't know what these
other issues are.

However, it would be fairly easy to have two returned keys:  peers, and
peers_ipv6.  I think that would solve the internet tracker problem.

In the meantime, why not just disable compact tracker mode on the
tracker to test your code?

Bill