[BitTorrent] ipv6

Martin Burggraf TSO at gmx.de
Tue Jan 25 18:19:21 EST 2005

Olaf van der Spek wrote:

> Why would the 'attacker' restrict himself to a single torrent (or a
> single tracker) or only one 'announce'?

good point... however, I think a DDoS attack requires a certain amount of
coordination to work and in case of BT the 'attacker' has no guarantee when or
if the clients are going to connect to the victim. When a torrent gets more
peers, the possibility that the faked address is in the returned peer list
decreases, so the best targets are probably relatively small swarms, hence it
even requires more of those which implies more effort from the bad guy.
IHMO BT doesn't really guarantee the necessary coordination so the costs are
not worth it; there are definately more effective methods to carry out a DDoS.

I think its just an unnecessary waste of ressources to let the tracker do this
kind of check.
Or does someone know of an actual DDoS-Attack with BT which achieved the result?

bye
Martin