[BitTorrent] Re: Request for protocol extension: get_info/infomessages

Olaf van der Spek OvdSpek at LIACS.NL
Wed Jan 12 14:46:37 EST 2005

> On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 05:09 +0000, iain_wade wrote:
>>
>> --- In BitTorrent at yahoogroups.com, "Olaf van der Spek" <OvdSpek at L...>
>> > As follow-up to my .torrent-less download thread, I'd like two
>> messages to
>> > be added to the BT protocol: get_info and info.
>> > get_info has no payload
>> > info has has payload containing info (bencoded, from .torrent)
>> > get_info could be send after the handshake and before other messages
>> > info should be send after receiving a handshake and get_info, but
>> before
>> > receiving other messages
>>
>> Hello Bram, and list members,
>>
>> I would also like to see a get_info/info extension added.
>
> Very interesting work.  This is also a very interesting problem.
>
> I couldn't find the original message double-quoted above, so I'm taking

It's from a long, long time ago.
I skimmed over my own quote and wondered why it looked so familiar. ;->

> what's listed above out of context...
>
> To use get_info/info for .torrent-less downloads, users would already
> need to know where to find a tracker and the info_hash value.
> Otherwise, they wouldn't know what peers to contact for the info, and
> wouldn't be able to send a valid handshake.  Is there a scheme for
> finding these?  In my proposed BT friends protocol extension

The idea was to put those two things in a URL.

> Another problem with the get_info/info extension is that the load of the
> info message can be hundreds of KBytes.  That's a big message.  Even if

Isn't it between 40 and 100 kbyte most of the time?
That's still large. This works best with merkle trees, where the size of the
.torrent is reduced to 1 kb.