[BitTorrent] several extensions to bittorrent

Jesus Cea jcea at argo.es
Wed Jan 19 14:04:56 EST 2005

stefnighthawk wrote:
> first proposed extension : leech mode.

Current BT protocol already support that. You simply refuse to upload,
and peers will penalice you appropiately. You can still download if
there is spare capacity in the swarm.

> second proposed extension : members-only.
> My proposal is to let the tracker make certain decisions on whether a
> user is a subscriber or not.  A subscriber could be given connections
> to high capacity internal seeds which require username/password.

Already done in some trackers. They recognize you by IP. for example:
http://www.argo.es/~jcea/artic/bittorrent06.htm ,
http://www.argo.es/~jcea/artic/bittorrent08.htm

> Please let me know if this is feasible, it should be more thought
> through or if it is totally out of the question because it could hurt
> the whole protocol.

The proposals you do are implementation details, not relevant to the BT
protocol itself.

--
Jesus Cea Avion                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
jcea at argo.es http://www.argo.es/~jcea/ _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/