[BitTorrent] ipv6

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Tue Jan 25 18:32:16 EST 2005

>From: John Hoffman <theshadow at shambala.net>
> >>>
> >>Without the tracker's verifying the source IP, or at least checking the
> >>IP for an active BitTorrent client, it would be possible for an attacker
> >>to insert an IP into very active torrents, causing a DDoS situation.
> >
> >Why don't you read the rest of the thread before you write
> >useless comments?
>
> Why don't you use your brain before you flame?
>
> If the tracker has no IPv6 access, it cannot accept incoming connections
> from an IPv6 address to verify that address, nor can it connect back to
> a peer claiming to be at an IPv6 address.  Therefore it would have to
> assume that peer was telling the truth about its being at that address.
> A peer could therefore insert a bogus address, causing the tracker to
> direct its peers to attempt to establish connections to that address.
> In the case of a large swarm, this might cause problems with a server at
> that address.  This is called a DDoS.  Got it?

While Christoph did go into flame mode way too quickly, his stance does
have some strength as pointed out by Martin Burggraf. The best you can do
is a low-level DDoS against a large group of IP addresses, or destruction
of the swarm by flooding it with bogus IP addresses.

Sure, a swam might consist of 100,000 peers, but how many of them are
going to attempt to connect to your DoS target? Very few of them, since
most of the time the tracker will give out the other 100,000 valid peers.
On average you will only provoke a number of connection attempts
equivalent to the average number of peers each peer attempts to obtain.
This is so small an average system will laugh at the modest few
connection attempts you provoke.

What can happen is I can attempt to flood the tracker's list of peers
with bogus ones, resulting in the tracker giving out mostly bogus peers
and killing the swarm. This is hard to do as a good tracker will note
that hundreds of peers are being added by one host, and thereby ignore
them. I think attacks along this line are a valid concern, but they are
against the swarm, not a particular peer.