[BitTorrent] ipv6

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Thu Jan 20 10:15:46 EST 2005

> Justin Cormack wrote:
> >
> > Is anyone running any ipv6 trackers for anything?
> >
> > Wanted to test ipv6 support.
> >
> > Justin
>
> IPv6 is impossible in combination with the compact tracker protocol.

So?

Well:
1. then the compact tracker protocol is broken
2. not all trackers use it
3. trackers could detect if the incoming connection was on ipv6 and not use it
4. many other solutions

Actually I think P2P applications will drive uptake of ipv6, as hosts
need to be able to talk to each other directly. And it seems that recently
it has started to be available off the shelf in a fairly widespread way.

Justin