[BitTorrent] Re: Request for protocol extension: get_info/info

Konstantin 'Kosta' Welke daMaker at fillibach.de
Fri Jan 21 06:54:21 EST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:55:18 -0500, Bill Cox <bill at viasic.com> wrote:

> I was thinking of using it to create a virtual file system for torrent
> files.  After mounting one, you could ls them, and cd to them, but if
> you read the data in a file, it'd go get the data from the torrent.  If
> a torrent contained other torrent files, these would be sub-dirs.

Just that i get you right: You want to make one big torrent file for
the whole filesystem (using multi-file) and add some browse option?
This is a great idea, and I thought about something similar to replace
whole ftp servers with bittorrent, but the problem is that either you
have to put the whole directory structure in the torrent file (which
can be HUGE), or use put each subdir in a single torrent, which would
add some latency when browsing directories.

Does this get fixed/easier with bt2's hash trees?
Also, updates on the filessystem are an issue.

> It gets more complicated if the user needs to write to the file system,
> which of course he would.

Not necessarily. Most of the file systems on a unix machine are read-only
for the typical user anyway. The whole idea is that there is one master
filesystem that gets, in this case seeded. Of course, it would be modified
on one central location.

On the other hand, if you want a real distributed read/write-bittorrent,
thats really a whole new project. Save it for bt3, maybe ;)

PS: any hints where i can find the bt wiki?

Kosta