Standards (was [BitTorrent] Back to Merkle Hash Trees...)

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Mon Feb 7 18:07:27 EST 2005

> Brian Dessent wrote:

> >>Wouldn't adding something like peers6 'fix' this?
> >

> > Yeah, that'd work.  But the other issues surrounding ipv6 have been
> > hashed out over and over on this list in the past so there's more than
> > just adapting the binary peers list in the tracker response.  (as I'm
> > sure you're aware of...)
>
> I know, I know, but I was wondering about the 'The fact is it's not a
> very well hought out extension that has no means of coping with ipv6' if
> the compact extension can be modified to deal with IPv6 easily.

Doesnt make it less of a gross hack.

Actually this brings me to one of the strangely undocumented bits of the
protocol which is that the "ip" field (eg as got in peers list) is never
actually documented anywhere I have seen and while everyone uses numeric
addresses, they could be names potentially. Not that that really matters.

It I happen to think that peer to peer apps are what will drive adoption
of ipv6, now it is well supported in software and becoming easily
available. (Well P2P and mobile phones).

Justin