[BitTorrent] UPnP, NATs, and P2P

Karst Bjorgson karstbj at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 23:55:13 EST 2005

> Generally (google for STUN linksys or similar) it
> looks like Linksys
> mostly dont work...

Actually, Teredo does work through a Linksys box. I
know, I tried it using WIndows XP/SP2. The Linksys
router falls in what Teredo or STUN call the "address
restricted cone NAT" category. There is a lot of
pressure on router makers to make Teredo, STUN and
other similar schemes work, and in practice it does
work in 90%+ of modern routers.

> Different terminology from MS, but most
> comprehensive (if hard to read)
> is http://bgp.lcs.mit.edu/~dga/view.cgi

The spec for teredo is available at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-huitema-v6ops-teredo-04.txt.

Cullen Jennings wrote an analysis of currently
deployed NAT in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jennings-behave-test-results-00.txt.

-- Karst