Standards (was [BitTorrent] Back to Merkle Hash Trees...)

Olaf van der Spek OvdSpek at LIACS.NL
Mon Feb 7 18:12:15 EST 2005

Justin Cormack wrote:

>>>Ugh, no certainly not. Its a quick hack to try out some ideas, as a "spec"
>>>it is neither specific enough, nor well thought out.
>>
>>Any specific comments?
>

> While you have a piece size on the torrent file, you have basically hard
> coded 32k in in the protocol. Then you have limited the filesize by only using

That's the chunk size, not the piece size.

> 32 bits for the piece. I thought everyone had pretty much agreed that 1k/4k

2^47 bytes doesn't look like a 'big' limitation.

> was a good size once we go Merkle?

I can't remember any discussion about that.

> The description of chunk_have is very unclear and I dont understand it.

It's like have, but for a chunk instead of for a piece.

> Requiring clients to be able to read a gzipped torrent is really not necessary
> just recommend/mandate that they support gzipped http.
>
> your xbt url doesnt support a multifile torrent.

Why not?
It's the info_hash that's included, not the root hash of a single file.

--
Olaf van der Spek
http://xccu.sf.net/