[BitTorrent] UPnP, NATs, and P2P

Bill Cox bill at viasic.com
Mon Feb 14 05:24:08 EST 2005

>From what I can tell, enabling UPnP on NAT enabled gateway is not
currently a good idea.  There are too many computers with spy-ware and
worse, and allowing those applications to open ports through your fire-
wall is risky.

The problem this causes is that P2P enabled applications like BitTorrent
aren't able to contact peers behind NATs unless the users are computer-
savvy enough to forward a BitTorrent port.

Is this a long-term problem, or is there some solution out there?  IPv6
wont do it: we don't use NATs just to save IP address space, we use NATs
for security.

Bill