[BitTorrent] Back to Merkle Hash Trees...

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Mon Feb 7 14:14:46 EST 2005

Bill Cox wrote:

> This gets back to a fundamental problem I feel this group currently has.
> Without active participation by the author of BT, we'll have trouble
> making ANY advances in the BT protocol, since we don't have any
> mechanism for officially agreeing on anything.  With p2p networking
> advancing so rapidly, I feel the future of the BT protocol is in doubt
> if it cannot evolve.
>
> So, I'd like to see Olaf's Merkel hash trees adopted.  How can we
> proceed in that direction?
>
> Perhaps a new unmoderated mailing list be formed, where permission to
> post to the group would be given only to authors of BT clients, or those
> who have at least published patches to existing clients.  Such a group
> might be able to make progress.

Oh boy, this again.  Were you not here the last time that happened?

The fact of the situation is the Bram is probably off working on his own
implementation of all of this and doesn't care what the mailing list
thinks.  That's just the way he tends to be.  If you want to try to make
something new then go ahead but don't call it BitTorrent.  He's been
quite clear in the past that BT is what it says it is and it's not a
group process.  For better or worse...

Brian