Standards (was [BitTorrent] Back to Merkle Hash Trees...)

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Tue Feb 8 07:03:46 EST 2005

Olaf van der Spek wrote:

> The largest torrents I've seen were about 8 gb. That's a factor 16384
> smaller then the limit. I doubt the protocol will still be in use when
> this becomes an issue.
> But using 64-bit indexes would be an easy solution.

For the record, I've observed torrents exceeding ~65gb "in the wild",
and that was 6mo-1yr ago timeframe.  Not that that comes anywhere close
to 128TB, but it never hurts to plan ahead.  Perhaps the clients might
exchange "multiplier" values at handshake (defaulting to olaf's spec of
32k iirc) that the 32 bit offset is referencing.  That way future
expansion is possible, if needed.

Brian