Standards (was [BitTorrent] Back to Merkle Hash Trees...)

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Mon Feb 7 17:58:45 EST 2005

> >>Olaf,
> >>
> >>This spec is excellent.  It's an outstanding document.  Also, it sounds
> >>like you've already tested it, so it shouldn't have too many surprises
> >>for implementers.
> >>
> >>While there are minor points that I would have liked to fine-tune, I
> >>think having a working, well done spec like this is more important.  If
> >>I had a vote, I'd vote that we adopt this spec as-is.
> >

> > Ugh, no certainly not. Its a quick hack to try out some ideas, as a "spec"
> > it is neither specific enough, nor well thought out.
>
> Any specific comments?

While you have a piece size on the torrent file, you have basically hard
coded 32k in in the protocol. Then you have limited the filesize by only using
32 bits for the piece. I thought everyone had pretty much agreed that 1k/4k
was a good size once we go Merkle?

The description of chunk_have is very unclear and I dont understand it.

Requiring clients to be able to read a gzipped torrent is really not necessary
just recommend/mandate that they support gzipped http.

your xbt url doesnt support a multifile torrent.

Justin