[BitTorrent] Re: Some complement about Tracker-tracker communication

edgaribsen edgaribsen at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 22 14:05:09 EST 2005

--- In BitTorrent at yahoogroups.com, Justin Cormack <justin at s...> wrote:
> or even reliability (the solution has a single point
> of failure tracker hub apparently too, rather than peer to peer
tracker
> solutions, though it will add some extra reliability)

In fact, I have been working on this problem, and have come up with a
solution: "hub fallback". A detailed description of it can be found
here: http://www.filesoup.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=102&t=90533

Basically, "hub fallback" makes it so that unless every single tracker
is down (in which case no one would be able to connect at all),
there will be no peer split.

I, in fact, choose to run a tracker web instead of a single tracker
because it gives a LOT more reliability (using that fallback
function). Almost none of our trackers can stay up 24/7 (for various
reasons), so having a tracker ring really makes sure that there is at
least one tracker up at all times (or at least that has been the case
since I started the ring).