[BitTorrent] Kenosis: BT tracker failover / distribution

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Wed Feb 2 01:18:32 EST 2005

>From: Gary Fung <gary at isohunt.com>
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:59:10 -0800 (PST), Elliott Mitchell <ehem at m5p.com> wrote:
>
> >> From: Gary Fung <gary at isohunt.com>

> I haven't read much about Kademlia either, but Kenosis describes a root node for discovery of peer nodes (trackers), and the location of root node is configurable. So there are central servers, but not a single one.

That root node sounds an awfully lot like a tracker...   ...and that
isn't even the central server I'd worry most about.

> >> There are two cases to consider: legacy BitTorrent clients and Kenosis-enabled BitTorrent clients. In either case, imagine we have two Kenosis-enabled BitTorrent trackers being run on machines TA and TB (both on port 1234). Machines TA and TB automatically organize themselves into a Kademlia-style network via Kenosis. Let's further imagine a file being shared by the operator of TA, called FA. FA's .torrent file is constructed to talk to this tracker URL: http://foo.bt.kenosisp2p.org:1234/announce.
> >>

> > Sounds very much like the Multi-Tracker extension:
> > http://bittornado.com/docs/multitracker-spec.txt
> >
> > It exists, it has been implemented. Haven't heard of complete failures
> > with it. Perhaps the Kenosis folks should consider begining on that?
>
> No this is different. multitracker pre-specifies trackers to connect to (I use it to add more bthub urls), Kenosis forms a P2P network of tracker nodes that all torrents can use. Node address is computed based on info_hash and a distance algorithm. Clients select the closest tracker node, if it goes down the next closest node is used so the swarm is not splitted.

Again, the root node sounds an awful lot like a tracker. True, subsequent
requests can go elsewhere, but that root node *must* be up in order for
clients to connect. What happens when I introduce an evil tracker? If
tracker nodes get created without human interaction, I can easily
introduce an evil tracker that kills everything.

Once you've brought human interaction into tracker creation, how is this
superior to Multi-Tracker? Certainly it is inferior because all initial
connections must be to that root hub. Where is the gain?