[BitTorrent] Unsolicited recruiting for BT2-like development, wtf?

Blue Boar BlueBoar at thievco.com
Mon Feb 7 13:50:54 EST 2005

Vitenka wrote:
> Ditto - I assumed it came from this list.

That's my assumption.

> Since we're already discussing it - did it sound shady to you?  I can't
> seem to figure out what they actually DO - although producing a clone of
> what steam promised to be when it snapped up Bram seems a reasonable aim.

I happened to have brought this to Bram's attention when I got it.  Bram
indicated that he didn't get a copy.  I mailed Travis asking where he
got my email, and got this in reply:

"I sent this to friends, colleagues, and others I've seen participate in the
P2P space.  Do you have any interest in getting involved?

Travis"

So, generally, I find it a bit shady.  I was somewhat concerned that he
was harvesting the bittorrent_help list, since that's the one I run.
This list was my second guess.

A couple of other interesting points:  You'll notice that the note was
worded like a mailing list post, i.e. not addressed to any one person.
You'll notice that he's calling for a number of items that aren't in the
collective BitTorrent yet, possibly indicating that he's trying to make
a proprietary version or fork.

And someone pointed out this item:
http://comments.fuckedcompany.com/phpcomments/index.php?newsid=110045&sid=1&page=1&parentid=0&crapfilter=1

							BB