Have compression (was Re: Standards (was [BitTorrent] Back to

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Thu Feb 10 07:23:03 EST 2005

> On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 02:28 +0000, Justin Cormack wrote:
> > > So, you're suggesting the use of extents, instead of a bitmap. There are
> > > two problems:
> > I think its worth testing. I dont think the complexity is that bad, as
> > you can have a bitmap and not care or a better implementation.
>
> I agree with the testing part.  Olaf's got a clean, simple
> implementation of Merkle hash trees.  The only major departure from it
> that I see might be dynamic piece size.  I'd be up for testing out if
> you want, just to see how it goes.

I will look into making a BT simulator. I dont have enough spare machines
to make a decent size cluster at the moment, so I will look at how to
simulate low bandwidth links between processes on a single Linux box. Not
sure how soon I can get that running though. It would be good to have
replicatable realistic simulations with measures of overhead and timing.