[BitTorrent] Kenosis: BT tracker failover / distribution

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Tue Feb 1 21:59:10 EST 2005

>From: Gary Fung <gary at isohunt.com>
> "Kenosis is a fully-distributed peer-to-peer RPC system built on top of XMLRPC. Nodes are automatically connected to each other via a Kademlia-style network and can route RPC requests efficiently to any online node. Kenosis does not rely on a central server; any Kenosis node can effectively join the network ("bootstrap") from any connected node."

RPC and XML.

Implementations of both have been fraught with security holes. RPC is
pretty well guarenteed to be dropped at any decent border firewall, as
it it used for LAN-only protocols. Very poor choice for something that
will span the Internet. XML is big and complex. Why is something so big
and complex needed where robustness is needed?

Not to mention they still have some flavor of centralized tracker
otherwise things just don't work (okay, so I'm unsure what Kademlia-style
means). Notice earlier discussions on getting rid of the tracker, it just
doesn't work.

> There are two cases to consider: legacy BitTorrent clients and Kenosis-enabled BitTorrent clients. In either case, imagine we have two Kenosis-enabled BitTorrent trackers being run on machines TA and TB (both on port 1234). Machines TA and TB automatically organize themselves into a Kademlia-style network via Kenosis. Let's further imagine a file being shared by the operator of TA, called FA. FA's .torrent file is constructed to talk to this tracker URL: http://foo.bt.kenosisp2p.org:1234/announce.

Sounds very much like the Multi-Tracker extension:
http://bittornado.com/docs/multitracker-spec.txt

It exists, it has been implemented. Haven't heard of complete failures
with it. Perhaps the Kenosis folks should consider begining on that?

> Their DNS bridge is what I'm doing with http://{hash}.bthub.com:{port}/announce tracker redirections. Kenosis is written in python, so it maybe worthwhile to investigate this as an extension, towards distributed BT trackers.

And here (and above too) is that dirty little secret. You're using DNS as
your central server. Maybe not as much of one as the standard BT
protocol, but still very much a central server. If I'm an evil dude, I
can kill it by DoSing your nameservers, worse this kills ALL Kenosis
files. Sounds like a conventional P2P app, not BT.

So, what is new and different about this?