Standards (was [BitTorrent] Back to Merkle Hash Trees...)

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Mon Feb 7 17:56:38 EST 2005

Olaf van der Spek wrote:

> > Yeah, that'd work.  But the other issues surrounding ipv6 have been
> > hashed out over and over on this list in the past so there's more than
> > just adapting the binary peers list in the tracker response.  (as I'm
> > sure you're aware of...)
>
> I know, I know, but I was wondering about the 'The fact is it's not a
> very well hought out extension that has no means of coping with ipv6' if
> the compact extension can be modified to deal with IPv6 easily.

The extension was well thought out in that it saves a lot of bandwidth
in the context of the current BT protocol.  It's not well thought out in
that it assumes binary ipv4 addresses and nothing else.  You can fix
that with any number of ad-hoc extensions, but I guess I'm just saying
that perhaps its successor might consider the idea of being both
extensible in the future and a compact binary format.

Brian