[BitTorrent] [SPAM] Re: IPv6 and compact tracker response

jaxe02 jaxe02 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 09:43:15 EST 2005

--- In BitTorrent at yahoogroups.com, Justin Cormack <justin at s...> wrote:

> If a peer connects on ipv4 it means (modulo buggy dns or explicit use of
> ipv4 IP address) that either the tracker or the peer doesnt have an ipv6
> address, so there wont be any point returning ipv6 clients.
>
> If a peer connects on ipv6, the situation is less clear, but it
might not
> have an ipv4 address, so be unable to connect to ipv4 clients.
>
> So the best result is only to return results in the same address family.
>
> (A client can get around this if it really wants).

I've applied the "send peer addresses belonging to the same address
family as the client connection" tracker policy to the old snark
(http://klomp.org/snark/) client - the modified version, with GUI too,
is here if anyone wants to play with it:
http://www.geocities.com/jaxe02/SnarkGUI/snark.html

Cheers,
LF