Standards (was [BitTorrent] Back to Merkle Hash Trees...)

Olaf van der Spek OvdSpek at LIACS.NL
Tue Feb 8 08:29:49 EST 2005

Justin Cormack wrote:
>>I consider an URL easier to pass around then a (text) file.
>

> A URL is a small text file. If we can make the .torrent small enough it can
> fit in the url.

No, an URL is a small text. It's not a file.

>>>problem about get_info is that peers have to carry around enough information
>>>to recreate the info from teh torrent file (eg the filenames). The code
>>>implementing the peer protocol shouldnt need to know about stuff like that.
>>
>>It doesn't need to know. It just has to pass the info blob around.
>

> It messes up the code, because you cant allocate buffers until you receive
> it.

What's the disadvantage of the delayed buffer allocation?

>>>eg see the THEX paper.
>>
>>No it doesn't. That paper says nothing about minimal transfer size.
>>It does mention 1 kbyte as base segment size, but my 'spec' uses 1 kbyte
>>as base segment size too but it doesn't use it as minimal transfer size.
>>

> But if you cant transfer less than 32k, there is no point having the
> segment size less than 32k. As far as I can see.

The (only) point is to make the root hash (and top of the tree)
independent of the chunk/piece size and to maintain compatibility with
other uses of merkle hashes/THEX.