[BitTorrent] Back to Merkle Hash Trees...

Olaf van der Spek OvdSpek at LIACS.NL
Sat Feb 5 06:00:00 EST 2005

Elliott Mitchell wrote:
> One you might think about helping me murder is the "THEX" design various
> folks have been advocating. THEX distinguishes leaves from internal nodes
> by appending a byte depending on whether it is leaf or payload; *that*
> is bogus!  (kills alignment, makes testing expensive)

It's not. You do not have to put the byte physically in front of the
block. You can 'hash' the byte and then the block.

And it's required in general because otherwise you couldn't tell the
difference between hash data and user data (if you only know the root
hash and not the file size).