[BitTorrent] Back to Merkle Hash Trees...

Bill Cox bill at viasic.com
Mon Feb 7 07:17:17 EST 2005

> > Is there some URL somewhere that describes the way Merkle hash
> > trees are supposed to be used in bt2? It seems that a lot of
>
> No (AFAIK), but I've got an experimental implementation described at
> http://62.216.18.38/bt_merkle/

Olaf,

This spec is excellent.  It's an outstanding document.  Also, it sounds
like you've already tested it, so it shouldn't have too many surprises
for implementers.

While there are minor points that I would have liked to fine-tune, I
think having a working, well done spec like this is more important.  If
I had a vote, I'd vote that we adopt this spec as-is.

This gets back to a fundamental problem I feel this group currently has.
Without active participation by the author of BT, we'll have trouble
making ANY advances in the BT protocol, since we don't have any
mechanism for officially agreeing on anything.  With p2p networking
advancing so rapidly, I feel the future of the BT protocol is in doubt
if it cannot evolve.

So, I'd like to see Olaf's Merkel hash trees adopted.  How can we
proceed in that direction?

Perhaps a new unmoderated mailing list be formed, where permission to
post to the group would be given only to authors of BT clients, or those
who have at least published patches to existing clients.  Such a group
might be able to make progress.

If there's interest in such a group, I could set it up, or perhaps
someone like Olaf should do it.

Bill