[BitTorrent] UPnP, NATs, and P2P

Bill Cox bill at viasic.com
Mon Feb 14 10:27:45 EST 2005

> > I suspect that this situation will continue unless there's some new
> > solution for NAT enabled gateways that can block unauthorized incoming
> > connections yet allow legitimate ones through.  But how can a router
> > know the difference?
>
> Authentication?

Authentication would be good.  How does a LinkSys style gateway do it
without requiring a user to configure it?

I'm assuming that users will continue to mostly be unaware of how to
modify their routers settings, as they are today.  A reasonable answer
is better education, which may happen over the long term.

Bill