[BitTorrent] Back to Merkle Hash Trees...

Olaf van der Spek OvdSpek at LIACS.NL
Sun Feb 6 05:44:42 EST 2005

Joseph Ashwood wrote:
> I never claimed that the entire tree would need to be downloaded again, read
> what I wrote, I wrote that the entire tree would have to be downloaded, by
> proof #1 above the Merkle tree will NEVER be smaller than the flat hash, and
> so it will take longer to download. The impact of this is open to

Never smaller doesn't mean it's always bigger.
If the bottom of the tree is as wide as the number of pieces in BT1, the
overhead is (exactly) equal in terms of hashes transfered.

>>No, downloaded chunks will be verified as they come in.
>

> Then explain why bad segments are received when the transmission medium
> remains unchanged. There will be downloaded chunks that are not verified,

Because the chunks are changed/edited after receiving (or torrent
creation) and before sending.