[BitTorrent] Back to Merkle Hash Trees...

Bill Cox bill at viasic.com
Mon Feb 7 14:27:36 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 11:14 -0800, Brian Dessent wrote:
> Bill Cox wrote:
>
> > This gets back to a fundamental problem I feel this group currently has.
> > Without active participation by the author of BT, we'll have trouble
> > making ANY advances in the BT protocol, since we don't have any
> > mechanism for officially agreeing on anything.  With p2p networking
> > advancing so rapidly, I feel the future of the BT protocol is in doubt
> > if it cannot evolve.
> >
> > So, I'd like to see Olaf's Merkel hash trees adopted.  How can we
> > proceed in that direction?
> >
> > Perhaps a new unmoderated mailing list be formed, where permission to
> > post to the group would be given only to authors of BT clients, or those
> > who have at least published patches to existing clients.  Such a group
> > might be able to make progress.
>
> Oh boy, this again.  Were you not here the last time that happened?
>
> The fact of the situation is the Bram is probably off working on his own
> implementation of all of this and doesn't care what the mailing list
> thinks.  That's just the way he tends to be.  If you want to try to make
> something new then go ahead but don't call it BitTorrent.  He's been
> quite clear in the past that BT is what it says it is and it's not a
> group process.  For better or worse...
>
> Brian

That would be fine, except for one thing...  The guys on this group are
off spending time doing work, like Olaf's implementation and spec on
Merkle hash trees for BT.

I understand if Bram is busy, and I hope he is working on BT2.  However,
if we could at least see some notes on what he's doing, we might save
ourselves a lot of time duplicating this stuff.  Also, there's no
convincing evidence that BT2 is currently under development, so I'm
tempted to ask if we need to carry on Bram's work, or if he'll be back
sometime soon.

So, for example, will Olaf's ideas become part of BT2, and if not, what
parts need to be changed?

Bill