[BitTorrent] Re: IPv6 and compact tracker response

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Tue Feb 15 20:59:11 EST 2005

If a peer connects on ipv4 it means (modulo buggy dns or explicit use of
ipv4 IP address) that either the tracker or the peer doesnt have an ipv6
address, so there wont be any point returning ipv6 clients.

If a peer connects on ipv6, the situation is less clear, but it might not
have an ipv4 address, so be unable to connect to ipv4 clients.

So the best result is only to return results in the same address family.

(A client can get around this if it really wants).