[BitTorrent] Unsolicited recruiting for BT2-like development, wtf?

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 16:01:40 EST 2005

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:40:11 +0000, Vitenka <vitenka at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> >>Did anyone else on the list get this?  I'm wondering where they
> >>harvested my email address...
> > I got it too.
>
> Ditto - I assumed it came from this list.
>
> Since we're already discussing it - did it sound shady to you?  I can't
> seem to figure out what they actually DO - although producing a clone of
> what steam promised to be when it snapped up Bram seems a reasonable aim.

It sounds like they are trying to make BitTorrent into something that
the masses - both companies and consumers - can use more easily.  To
me, BT is very simple so I don't need a GUI.  I can see that for some
it might be a little too complex so this company is going to use BT to
speed downloads of large files.  They seem to have targeted the gaming
industry which does have needs very similar to what BT provides, but
also needs to have a little of a wrapper around it so that the gamers
themselves just see "fast download, some upload is used, whatever"
instead of "OMG, downloading this new service pack for game X is
taking so long.  I hate this game and instead want to play TuxRacer."

Greg