Standards (was [BitTorrent] Back to Merkle Hash Trees...)

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Mon Feb 7 18:53:00 EST 2005

>From: Brian Dessent <brian at dessent.net>
> Olaf van der Spek wrote:
>
> > > Yeah, that'd work.  But the other issues surrounding ipv6 have been
> > > hashed out over and over on this list in the past so there's more than
> > > just adapting the binary peers list in the tracker response.  (as I'm
> > > sure you're aware of...)
> >
> > I know, I know, but I was wondering about the 'The fact is it's not a
> > very well hought out extension that has no means of coping with ipv6' if
> > the compact extension can be modified to deal with IPv6 easily.
>
> The extension was well thought out in that it saves a lot of bandwidth
> in the context of the current BT protocol.  It's not well thought out in
> that it assumes binary ipv4 addresses and nothing else.  You can fix
> that with any number of ad-hoc extensions, but I guess I'm just saying
> that perhaps its successor might consider the idea of being both
> extensible in the future and a compact binary format.

Might I suggest a "compact=2" data format consisting of tuples along
the lines of:

<byte:protocol#><4/16bytes:addr(size by prot)><2bytes:port>

Where the protocol# byte comes from RFC 1340 (available at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/protocol-numbers, and other locations).
This would be 0 for IPv4, and 41 for IPv6. The one issue is indicating
which types are acceptable, likely simply a list of bytes during the
request.