[BitTorrent] Back to Merkle Hash Trees...

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Fri Feb 11 04:56:29 EST 2005

> I would tend to use the block hash in REQUEST and PIECE messages because
> that is enough to uniquely identify the block, offset, and which torrent
> it belongs to without any additional information.

no it isnt, 2 torrents could have the same leaf hash somewhere, but be part
of different trees. This would be a problem, as they have different parents.
Also hashes are 20 bytes which is quite long.

It is a nice idea though, and can save TCP connections, just not sure the
complexity of shared blocks makes it worthwhile.

Justin