[BitTorrent] Back to Merkle Hash Trees...

Konstantin 'Kosta' Welke kosta at fillibach.de
Fri Feb 4 16:52:09 EST 2005

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 00:38:59 -0000, sh4dowmatter <mgp at ucla.edu> wrote:

> This must all seem utterly trivial, so I just want wondering if the
> powers that be, whether it was originally Merkle or someone else, said
> that "all Merkle trees shall be formed breadth-first, and not as a
> full binary tree." If I try pursue this idea above, can I call it a
> Merkle hash tree?

Either way, it is a merkle hash tree. The question is if it complies
to that THEX format. I'd still say so, because in point 3.3 they say
"Normal breadth-first serialization is the recommended manner in
which to serialize the hash tree.". Note the *recommended*.

The structure of the Hash Tree depends on the order in which you
combine the leaves. There's a lot of variations possible. If your
program wants to build hash trees your way thats no problem. But
remember that it should be able to read *any* hash tree correctly.

HTH,
Kosta
who still doesnt understand where the big advantage over a list
of hashed blocks is, anyways