[BitTorrent] Some complement about Tracker-tracker communication

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Mon Feb 21 04:34:13 EST 2005

> Tracker-Tracker communication already has some implementation in
> real-world environments.
>
> BNBT based trackers running on versions 7.3, 7.7, and 8.0 have the
> capability (with the consent of the administrators of both trackers)
> to share ALL peer data.
>
> I personally operate a 5-way (not including the dedicated hub) linked
> tracker network. There are indeed several steps to take at the start
> to insure proper peer data sharing, but most have been documented at
> http://cbtt.depthstrike.com/trackerlinks. Additionally, deployment
> guidelines have been documented there as well.

Just a few questions about these:

I see the main point is not listed as being bandwidth (despite what other
people say about the huge importance of compact=1 suggesting that trackers
are bandwidth limited) or even reliability (the solution has a single point
of failure tracker hub apparently too, rather than peer to peer tracker
solutions, though it will add some extra reliability), but number of
connections.

This is a bit surprising to me as the limiting factor, how many connections
are we talking about? And doesnt UDP tracker solve this by being
connectionless? Or are there other problems with udp, or is it just not
widely used?

Justin

> I have been working on a php implementation of automated editing of
> tracker information within .torrent files and returning them to
> clients (in an effort to simplify my own tracker network's use).

It doesnt make much difference whether you use Merkle tree or info hash,
they are the same size.

> Scalability is good, because capacity can effectively be improved by
> simply adding additional trackers.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Guanying
>
> PS: I haven't seen my first post till now. God knows when I can,
> maybe
> tomorrow... How do you guys use this list? I think the web interface
> is not good enough. RSS, either. Thank you.

There are moderation delays sometimes, on all interfaces. I use the email
version, havent seen the first post either...