[BitTorrent] UPnP, NATs, and P2P

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Tue Feb 15 17:22:47 EST 2005

> Even without UPnP, penetrating NAT is still possible.
> Currently MS Torendo IPv6 server protocal can let 2 peers both behind
> NAT to communicate with each other directly without server relay.

Reading the docs, I see it basically works in those situations under
which STUN works ie sometimes, mostly if you have a really dumb NAT
box (not a Unix machine).

Also if you want to talk to real IPv6 hosts all traffic has to pass through
a server. (just using it for NAT traversal you can talk directly if it
works at all - no one has decided to procide open NAT relay servers). I
suspect that this part of the infrastructure wont last long unless core
ipv6 routers decide to support it.

Who is providing the servers?

Can anyone behind NAT ping me (bream.specialbusservice.com - ipv6 name only)?