[bittorrent] BT protocol Q

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Fri Apr 29 12:30:05 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 11:48 -0400, Simon Spero wrote:
> On Apr 29, 2005, at 9:56 AM, Justin Cormack wrote:
>
> >> Separate connections for data transfer in each direction are a good
> >> thing, even if both are initiated by the same host. In a wonderful
> >> bit of irony, the bit-torrent protocol punishes hosts that upload
> >> data over connections they're downloading from...
> >>

> > How does it? The protocol is pretty symmetric.
>
> What happens when a peer  begins a sub-block transfer which takes so
> long to finish that any outstanding requests of its own it complete
> before the transfer has finished?

Yes I see that could happen, although the transfer would have to be very
slow, and you would have to have very few outstanding requests.

Does it really happen other than when the peer has actually gone down
but tcp hasnt timed out yet? There is very little overhead in having
quite large numbers of requests outstanding at a time.

Justin