[bittorrent] Podcasting via bittorrent

David P. Mott dpmott at sep.com
Tue Apr 19 13:29:56 EDT 2005

Keep in mind that I haven't tried this...

Azureus (http://azureus.sourceforge.net) has an RSS plug-in
(http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=rssfeed) and
also has a built-in tracker.  I'm not sure how you would *generate* the
RSS feed, but I'm assuming that there are tools out there to do that.

So, in Azureus, you can host and seed the torrent (all from within one
instance of one application).  Then, send out the RSS feed, and make sure
that all of your buddies are running Azureus with the (correctly
configured) RSS plug-in.

Magic should ensue, causing the media to appear on peer machines.

If it matters at all, you can also configure the Azureus tracker and peers
to use username/passwords (this is a non-standard protocol extension).

For others that are interested in the media but do not run an RSS-enabled
bittorrent client, they could just go to your tracker web page (yes,
Azureus has a built-in web server for this purpose) and they can download
the torrent file from you.  This assumes that you forward the appropriate
port(s) through your firewall.

Does that help?

-dpmott