[bittorrent] Podcasting via bittorrent

Andrew Dubber dubber at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 05:19:39 EDT 2005

Hi,

I've searched back through the archives on this list, but I can't find
what I'm looking for. Here's my issue: I record a daily podcast which
runs to about 20Mb. At present, the mp3 is hosted on a web server, and
I'm paying through the nose for bandwidth.

What I'd like to do is have the RSS enclosure link to a .torrent file
rather than a .mp3 file, and then seed the torrent myself. This seems
reasonably straightforward, except for the fact that I don't seem to
be able to locate a Bittorent host that is not in danger of being
summarily shut down or that I don't have to apply for permission to
post each individual file on a 'legit' server. There are no copyright
issues on my podcasts - it's just a couple of guys talking.

Where I'm at now is that I think I want to set up a server and host a
bittorrent tracker for people like me who just want to podcast without
breaking the bank on file distribution. It seems that's what
bittorrent would be best at, and it seems that it would be a nice
thing to do.

I may be a bit of a tech geek - but running Python or MySQL scripts on
a dedicated Apache server would represent an enormous learning curve
for me, and I'd rather somebody said "Wait! There's no need to go to
all that trouble - here's the simple way to achieve what you want to
do..."

That would be your cue.

Thoughts?

Cheers,