[bittorrent] packet loss

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Tue Apr 19 00:16:12 EDT 2005

larytet.8708132 at bloglines.com wrote:

> broadband. packet loss is under 0.5% (~600/130,000). probably real packet
> loss is ~1% because i measured packet loss according the number of missing
> acks.

I suspect the percent loss will be much higher in a bandwith-throttled
environment typical of an average broadband customer uploading or
downloading at or close to a rate-limited maximum.  Try setting a
bittorrent client to unlimited upload rate on a torrent with many peers
and then try the test again on the same connection, I think you will be
unhappy with the results.  Intelligent throttling of bandwidth at the
application level can minimize the problem but many end users of p2p
applications have no clue what they're doing in that regard.

Brian