[bittorrent] BT proxy

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Tue Apr 12 17:57:25 EDT 2005

>From: David P. Mott <dpmott at sep.com>
> >From: Justin Cormack <justin at street-vision.com>
> > If you are running the proxy tracker, why not make it give out its own
> > address with probability 1 for all host requests, so that it stays
> > connected to all the local peers (no external client will ever connect
> > to the tracker anyway). You could also limit the number of external
> > client addresses it hands out. This might be sufficient.
>
> I don't think that's the problem.  The problem is the "proxy peer" -- the
> BT peer that connects the internal swarm (behind the firewall) to the
> external swarm.  The tracker could hand out all peers, but that won't do
> any good if the one peer that has all of the data (the "proxy peer") won't
> talk to them -- maybe because he can upload faster to people outside of
> the firewall.

This is how a conventional client would act. Unless someone totally
misdesigned it, a caching peer wouldn't act this way. Of note, the cache
would know which side is the internal side and therefore act as a seed on
the internal side.

> Also, the "proxy peer", while bridging the two swarms, will have peers
> from both swarms.  If he gets peers from the outside world first, and he
> then feels no motivation to ask for peers from the internal tracker (or
> worse, no motivation to process those peers), then the internal peers will
> starve.

A cache wouldn't need to ask for peers from the internal tracker. The
tracker would know about the cache, and as Justin suggested would always
return the cache in addition to any other peers. As a result the cache
never needs to connect to anyone on the internal side, they'll connect to
the cache.