[bittorrent] BT proxy

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Tue Apr 12 14:03:57 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 17:21 +0000, larytet.8708132 at bloglines.com wrote:
> "I believe the commercial product that does this was aimed at ISPs that
> wanted
> to cache P2P traffic inside their own network to save themselves
> external
> bills."
>
> smart tracker or better BT client measuring RTT could do this.
> i think that just measring of RTT and choosing peers with lower RTT would
> improve overall performance and decrease "inter ISPs" traffic related to BT.

This is problematic if all peers do this, as you are more likely to get
groups of peers with bad connectivity with the rest of the swarm. It
only works if you do it in more complex ways.

In fact, as BT tends to make peers talk in groups that have similar
bandwidths (as any peer that is much slower than you cannot feed you
enough for you to bother sending it stuff, so peer groups are formed),
what the caching is trying to do is to build another very high bandwidth
swarm set at the top, which can then send stuff down locally.

Actually that means that if enough people on big pipes run proxys you
might need to make fewer changes than if you are the only person doing
it.