[bittorrent] BT proxy

larytet.8708132 at bloglines.com larytet.8708132 at bloglines.com
Tue Apr 12 13:21:53 EDT 2005

"I believe the commercial product that does this was aimed at ISPs that
wanted
to cache P2P traffic inside their own network to save themselves
external
bills."

smart tracker or better BT client measuring RTT could do this.
i think that just measring of RTT and choosing peers with lower RTT would
improve overall performance and decrease "inter ISPs" traffic related to BT.

--- Andrew Brampton" <andrew at bramp.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
I believe there
was a commercial product that claims BitTorrent proxying

> It was a transparent
proxy that would watch all BitTorrent connection. It
> would identify them
as BitTorrent by either port inspection (ie 6881-) or by
> packet inspection
(I believe its trivial to watch the first 20 bytes for
> "BitTorrent Protocol").

> Once it is watching a connection it will associate that TCP Flow with
the
> Torrent's hash (which it saw in a first packets). Then every time it
sees a
> piece message it would keep a copy of the data inside. Now next
time another
> client is transparently connected to the same BitTorrent swarm
the proxy can
> intercept all outgoing request packets and return the piece
itself (as long
> as it already has it cached).
>
> This concept is very
similar to a web proxy except in this case the BT Proxy
> is doing anything
transparently, and never actually making any requests to
> the outside world.

> I believe the commercial product that does this was aimed at ISPs that

> wanted to cache P2P traffic inside their own network to save themselves

> external bills.
>
> The idea is sound, and would be a nice Open Source
project that university
> campus or business networks etc could use.
>

> Andrew

PM
> Subject: [bittorrent] BT proxy
>

> > Some people have brought
up the need for a BT proxy, but all attempts at
> > discussion on that topic
were more or less ignored on the yahoo forum. The
> > quote that comes to
mind is that "a BT proxy is an unfirewalled BT
> > client" -- which shows
that the author either didn't grasp the real need
> > for a true proxy,
or didn't care.